Anyone using 8x10?

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by Isabel, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

I frequently make digital negatives for pt/pd printing. I enlarge MF to approx 10x8 and I've been known to make a digital neg from a 10x8 neg, depending on what paper I'm printing on due to sticking from increased humidity levels of the paper.

2. Diz

Diz Member

Not quite a 10x8, I have nearly finished re furbing an FKD 18x24 cm. I got it to do wet plate, but it came with 2 DDslides. So one has been converted for wet plate, the other will be used for film. It cost £292, came with 2 DDS, 300mm lens and shipped from Ukraine. It has an Elephant shutter. You take the lens cap off and count 1 Elephant,2 Elephant etc. It has front rise and shift, rear tilt and swing. Quite under engineered so wobbles a bit, but so does everything else after pouring a couple of plates:confused:. I have managed to get 2, 7x5 images with it so far. An insert made from 3mm acrylic and silver wire was used. I intend to make another for 8x6. That will give me 3 formats from 1 DDs. Its been an interesting and fun journey so far.
    Cheers
    Diz

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  3. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    I have been giving serious thought to getting into carbon and/or carbon transfer printing as a means of a 'self challenge'. I 'rescued' the white front door outer cover off a neighbour's dish washer (with his permission) after it was 'put out' for disposal. I recently purchased some a few feet of 'magnetic tape' for holding the paper 'down' which also provides for a 'dam' for pouring the 'glop' (check Dr. Sandy King's website). I have a relatively inexpensive home-made UV light-box which has proven it worth for other non-silver processes. All I now need is to do some re-reading and then 'find the guts' and the time to get it all up and going... after I 'invest' in replenishing my stock of Pictorico for making digitally 'enlarged' negatives. I can but hope the 'learning slope' is not too steep.

Ken

4. Pete Oakley

Pete Oakley New Member

I have a Sinar collection which includes an 8x10 back and a Sinar Copal shutter. I do venture out with it now and then but I favour an anglers trolley to move it. I know somebody with a pre war Agfa Ansco and it is really portable and has the benefit of front and rear swing. I've heard the build quality of Agfa Ansco's criticised but this is really good.

5. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    The Sinar is a GREAT camera. When 'working' we had an early '50's Linhof Technika... a solid piece of equipment. Since I had a Linhof monorail 'at home' when the time came to a much needed 'update' to much of the late 40's and early '50' hardware and having had some 'hands-on' experience with a friend's Sinar, I invited the Sinar distributer's rep. to drop by and provide for a hands-on 'demonstration' for 'the Boss'...and the head of Administration (who had to OK the investment). Both were more than 'surprised' of the benefits of the off-axis tilts and swings that would make a lot of our work more than just 'somewhat' easier/faster while it allowing for greater extensions than the Technika for a lot of the 1:1 (and higher) magnification work that was required on an almost daily basis. If I had the need for a new monorail (and the $$ to spend), the Sinar would be my camera of choice... The film-plane metering 'prod' proved itself in the studio on a daily basis... reducing the time spent on mental exposure calculations on a 'daily basis'.

Ken

6. Graham Patterson

Graham Patterson Member

I finally had a chance to take my 'hardware store special' 8x10 out in the field - if briefly on the way into work. I am not sure if I will stay with the larger format, but it did not cost much in money or time in order to experiment.

http://grahamp.dotinthelandscape.org/8x10.html

Now the temptation is see if I can modify my Beseler enlarger to handle it :cool:

7. Mathieu Bauwens

Mathieu Bauwens Active Member

Home Page:
    Nicely done, Graham !