Any info on this camera

martin henson

Very Active Poster
Any info appreciated about the camera below, been told its 6x9 format, and they cant get the shutter to fire, thanks in advance

ross-2.jpg

ross.jpg

Well I know who didn't make this camera for Ross, they didn't make cameras themselves. I'd have to go back through some early 1900s BJP Almanacs. A photograph of the other side of the camera would help as it should have some shutter controls..

Often these cameras took Rollex roll film backs, or 6.5x9 plate holders. Shutters are often jammed or the blinds and cords torn, In some cases the light proofing has gone brittle. I have quite a few awaiting eventual repair and new shutter curtains.

i don't recognise this particular camera but will skim though some books later today.

Ian

I think it's probably a Dainty Soho Reflex, made by Kershaw and sold by Marion & Co later Soho Ltd. They were also re-badged as Ross and Beck reflex cameras. It's not the original 1908 model and is one of the later variations.

Ross list them as "The 3½ x 2½ New Focal Plane Reflex Camera" in 1910, Marion & Co as the Dainty Reflex, the early model has a different focus hood. By 1924 Ross are listing the standard Soho Reflex in their BJPA adverts.

At the time of introduction the cameras were used with 6.5x9 (2½x3½) Dark slides, Changing backs, and Film Packs the Rollex 6x9 backs were introduced sometime later.

Ian

Martin, I'll try and access the Patents for the shutter - I have two Patent numbers. I have a really nice 5x4 Kershaw Soho Reflex which is the only SLR camera with tilt, swing, rise and fall and I need to restore the shutter so need the info anyway :D

It's interesting that Ross chose to re-badge Kershaw's cameras but then both companies were at the top end of the British photographic industry. My Soho Reflex has a TTH Cooke lens the only British challenger to Ross in terms of high quality lenses. These were top end Reflex cameras of their day.

It's likely the mirror needs replacing/re-silvering, actually aluminium is used these days for front surface mirrors as it doesn't oxidise. It's not too expensive less than £20.

Ian

Back