Another shutter, another problem.

James T

This time it's a Synchro-Compur-P #0. (The one with B but not T).

When I turn the exposure setting, the front plate (with the arrow to indicate the exposure and the aperture indicator panel) rotates with it over a smallish range but enough to shift the pointers from 1/2s to B and f/32 to f/11. The internal mechanism is not shifting, it's just the indicator plate shifting with the shutter ring rather than being fixed to the mechanism.

Is there a way to lock it? There are several screws on the back, but they look more like they hold the whole thing together rather than being lock screws.

James

Ian Grant

There's a circular locking "dog screw) you need to remove the front lens cell, you're supposed to set the shutter speed to B before locking it in place.

Don't touch those rear screws for now. The service manual is here.

I've bought lenses in the past cheap and it's obvious the seller's tampered with the shutter, but they've been sold honestly as not functioning.

Ian

James T

There's a circular locking "dog screw) you need to remove the front lens cell, you're supposed to set the shutter speed to B before locking it in place.
Thanks,
Somehow that dog screw had turned (I called it a cam), so that the front plate wasn't locked. I don't know why as I'd been using the shutter and lens for a while and then on Saturday while trying to take a shot everything started moving as I tried to set the shutter (of course out in the field in a cold wind!).

Ian Grant

I guess working again now. I have a similar problem with a Kodak 170mm f7.7 Anastigmat in a Wollensak Velosto shutter (UK name for the Optimo shutter) where the face plate keeps coming loose.

Ian

James T

Thanks,
Somehow that dog screw had turned (I called it a cam), so that the front plate wasn't locked.
Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, I had thought that I had posted a comment saying that I had found that there was a cam on the front plate that locked it, but must have failed to hit the post button.