Another rose

Stephan

Rose (2016)
My first real 4x5" in ages.

Sinar Norma with Rodenstock Sironar-N 210mm f5,6 MC on Fomapan 100. Tilted the film plane slightly backwards in order to get the flask somewhat out of focus.

Developed with TMax 1+4 for 5' in a Jobo CPE.
Jinbei 180 with a partly covered softbox on the right, white reflector on the left and a Nikon SB-800 flash for the background.

Stephan

Sure @Ian.
The Jinbei stood very close to the flower. I used black cloth on the soft box leaving just about 20 cm open. I measured with an electronic flashmeter next to the flower, the dome directed to the flash. Then I set up my speed light in manual mode and about 3 steps less power than what I measured for the soft box. Checked the setup with my Nikon D300 at the measured value of f11 at 1/250. That seemed okay but a tad to bright.

To compensate the bellows extension I decided to subtract 2 stops and not 1 1/3 as the app Bellows Factor proposed. So this shot was then made at f8 and 1/125

Last edited:

Doug

In my opinion this image is a result of a very well planned setup. The reason I want to work with large formats. Very nice job, thanks for sharing your strategy.

Doug

Ian:
One other reason for LF is my love for Pt/pd. I have not done well with digital negatives so my only recourse is to make the negative fit the print size I want. Of course 8x10 will be my limit.