Ahel 1245 4x5 enlarger for sale

Be worth Mr Barber crossing the Pennines for :D

Ian

Soooo tempting...

But I don't want to set up a darkroom!

But £40!

Arrgh!

Robert

I wish I had the room, three 7x5 trays and a small desk just about fills my darkroom ;)

So... aren't condenser emlargers the Devil's Work where dust spots are concerned?? :mad:

Talk me into this! (Then I can blame you lot when my Wife returns from working away...). :p

Robert

I understand diffusion enlargers will not show nearly as much dust as condenser enlargers. I guess it's al down to your woking conditions

I have condenser enlargers and diffuser enlargers and there's not a very significant difference, yes with 35mm dust is very slightly more of an issue. I'm actually using both in my current darkroom, which is a decent size.

For about 3 years I had a darkroom that was about 6ft x 7ft and had a Durst M601 alongside a Johnsons V45, I mostly print on 16"x12" paper but also made some quite large prints 24"x20" it's about how you layout the space. Wall mounting the enlargers helps enormously, and I had a bench top that could be slotted in at different levels below the enlargers. So with a bit of planning you don't need much space. These days you can use a Nova slot processing tank but they weren't available hen.

Ian

Out of interest, how much room height is required for an enlarger to say print up to around 10x8

Not a lot, it depends on the enlarger, my main LF a De Vere 5108 is set to print a touch larger than 10x8 at the moment from 5x4 negatives and need 40" from base board to the top of the head, but this is larger/taller than a 5x4 head. I've cut away some ceiling joists to get the enlarger in the darkroom and to allow maximum height on the column which allows largish prints without dropping the baseboard (it's floor standing).

Ian

Out of interest, how much room height is required for an enlarger to say print up to around 10x8

The enlarger negative stage to baseboard distance isn’t very much when printing 10x8 from a 4x5 negative using a 135 or 150mm lens. The issue tends to be the overall column height, which is fixed. I have the LPL 4551 enlarger for 4x5. It’s considered one of the smaller models, but it has a total height of more than 50”. A MF enlarger, on the other hand, could have an overall height of less than 30”. Ian’s arrangement of a wall mount and dropped baseboard is a good way to contain an enlarger with a long column. At the moment I don’t need to consider that, but I’m keeping it in mind for future locations.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I found that using a 135mm lens for 5x4 helped significantly when I only had a small darkroom. It's more useful when printing larger than 10x8, I had a height restriction due to a sloping roof so couldn't take the V45 enlarger to it's full height, luckily I'd converted it to take a cold cathode head because the original condenser head was quite tall.

Later I mounted the V45 in a new darkroom it was bench mounted rather than to it's baseboard frame, the rear 6"-8" of the bench was fixed the rest slotted like my previous darkroom. Wall mounting or to the bench as I described and being able to drop work top the is great, the only thing better is a floor standing enlarger where the base board can be dropped.

The listing for that enlarger is closed, presumably sold :D

Ian

There was a cold cathode option available for this particular enlarger. It replaces the condenser lenses and should give a much softer light. I've got one coming to me from France at the moment, but they will be rare on the second-hand market.

Nick

That enlarger's not in the Wirral any more , it's in Manchester . :)
I've not got it set up yet as the darkrooms a work in progress , but nearly there !

Back