Agitation And High Values

Discussion in 'Talk About Developing Film' started by Ian-Barber, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I am interested to hear from anyone who has experimented with agitation speeds, frequency and methods when using for example the Mod54.

How much difference have you actually seen in the high values by different agitation methods ?

2. alexmuir

alexmuir Member

More agitation leads to more development. Shadow areas will only develop so far, but highlights will continue to develop, causing an increase in overall contrast. I don't think subtle changes make much difference. For example, I use inversion agitation with the MOD54. I use the timer on the Massive Dev App. The agitation is set to 10secs/minute. I can invert the tank 3 times, or 4 during that time period. I don't think it makes any difference. If, however, I decided to agitate for 30 secs/minute, or continually throughout the development time, I would expect that to lead to increased density in the highlights, and an increase in overall contrast. Some books suggest constant agitation for the first minute, or 30 secs. I follow that advice, and agitate all films, LF or smaller, for the first minute.
    Alex