Acros from Japan

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by PaulBJE, Feb 21, 2018.

1. PaulBJE

PaulBJE New Member Registered User

Just an update regarding buying 5x4 Acros from Kumar in Japan. I received 5 boxes plus 2 packs of 5 of 120 earlier this week having ordered it before Christmas. The delay was because Acros 5x4 is on 'restricted supply' even in Japan and over a week's delay in customs. However Kumar was as good as his word and the total cost was £258 including Customs duty, VAT and Parcel force's 'clearance fee, which I consider to be very good value.

Paul

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Two things:

What's the breakdown on costs 5x4 to 120

The second is quite different and is what or why do you think it's worth spending more for Acros rather than an Ilford or Kodak film ? I have used Acros and have my own opinions.

Ian

3. Monsta

Monsta Member Registered User

No reciprocity on Acros so if you like long exposures then it is hard to beat.

4. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

Yes, virtually no reciprocity for normal exposures and to my eye, more attractive midtone separation. Very fine grain, too.
    But it is much more expensive than Foma.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Yes, I was aware of the reciprocity being almost non existent, I had a couple of rolls of 120 which I just hadn't bothered using and realised they'd be ideal when I visited Chios - I wanted to shoot inside the passageways underneath the old city wall. I got the images I wanted.

I'm not fond of it's tonality but that maybe because I've honed my technique initially with APX100, then Tmax100 and now Delta 100, so personal taste.

Ian

6. PaulBJE

Ian,
    Apart from the reciprocity factor I agree it is down to personal taste. I have been using Acros for medium format work for the last 10 years. I mostly print on Ilford Art 300 and really like this combination. It just seems to work for me.

I haven't done an accurate breakdown on the cost but assuming the boxes of 120 are £25 each the 5x4 worrks out at about £40 per box, half the price from First Call!

Paul

7. PaulBJE

Just as a follow up I attach a photo taken on Dartmoor using Acros and printed on Ilford Art 300. I don't think I would have achieved the whispy look of the water if I had had to increase the exposure time to account for repricocity failure.
    You can just about see the lovely texture of the paper but this is a digital photo of the print as I don't have a decent scanner. _DSC0101-Edit-Edit.jpg

This photo was in joint exhibition with my brother who is an accomplished poet. His words for this were:

Clip clop drops
    patter from clagged manes
    boulder panniers
    tears leak under a stone eyebrow
    to the white-whiskered river of ghosts