Abandoned

KenS

Popular Poster
oldprairiehomestead.jpg

An old and long abandoned 'farm homestead' on the Albertan prairies. This was the second of the two sheets in the film holder. My first exposure was made with a yellow filter which I knew would 'tone down' the clear blue sky a bit... but on 'proofing' both sheets, I found I much preferred the 'starkness' of the second exposure which seemed to complement the 'tone' and the feeling of 'separation' of the building. Cropping a portion of the sky (after the scan) to provide an approximate 2:1 ratio of the landscape, seemed (to my eye anyway) helped to 'improve' the feeling of 'loneliness and physical separation' that many of the immigrant pioneers must have felt being 'on their own' so far from their homeland.

Ken

Linhof monorail with 75mm Rodenstock (with a small amount of front rise to eliminate some of the foreground. (Plus-X in D76 1:1).

Last edited:
OldFarm.jpg

Looking out to the north east over the flat prairie land in the somewhat windswept farmland of Southern Alberta, on a day when the temperature was a little higher than might be considered 'comfortable', we find one more of the many old (and somewhat desolate) original Prairie settlers' farmhouses that have been left to deteriorate when the land was either abandoned... or bought out by a neighbour wanting to 'expand'... but who has let the original farmstead fall into disrepair.
Some of these old buildings, when they are not too far from a nearby town (or small village) have sometimes been use by the 'local' volunteer fire departments with 'tanker trucks' for fire-fighting training in areas where the building would cost too much to demolish.

Kodak Plus-X behind the 240mm. Sironar (with 'light' yellow filter) mounted on my trusty Linhof monorail sitting atop a Zone VI wooden tripod. Film was in developed (as 'Normal') in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Last edited:
GrainBins.jpg

Out of sight behind the out-buildings to the right of the previous image, the old, and now empty galvanized grain bins remain (but now without the 'tops') right where they were erected (on a poured concrete pad) for storage of the season's harvest until it such times as could be either sent to market... or sold for local cattle feed. On first sight, as I was settling down under the dark-cloth (and I am not sure of the "why"), the childrens' old "Ring around the roses" popped into my mind.... and I had a really hard time getting 'rid' of it on the way home.... but (dammit!!!!) it 'popped up' again... but at a somewhat 'slower beat' while rotating the tubes in the water-bath as I was processing later that evening.
Kodak Plus-X behind the 150mm Rodenstock on my Linhof monorail with minimum amount of swing applied to the rear standard to ensure the closest part of the left-hand side of the image into sharp focus. Exposure was at 1/60 @ f8 and developed as 'normal' in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

Abandoned2.jpg

Another early... and long-abandoned settler's farmhouse on the Southern Alberta Prairie.

The majority of these pioneer farmhouses were 'mail-ordered' (from a 'selection' of floor-plan variations) from an Eaton's catalogue and shipped out by train to the nearest railway 'stop'... from where they were picked up... and taken to the site for erection by the settler and willing 'neighbourly' volunteer assistance' from the local area.

This old farmhouse is sitting on land that is still being 'worked'... as is obvious from the current 'pathway' between the house and the shed.

Exposure was onto Ilford FP4 behind a 240 mm Rodenstock for 1/30 @ f11 with a yellow filter, and developed as 'normal' in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes.

Ken

great location coupled with some very strong images nice one!

The South east corner of the same old and long-abandoned farmhouse on southern Alberta Prairie. A somewhat difficult image to which one may apply a title.. since it is but a small part of the whole. I have, however, decided on the somewhat anonymous title of south east corner" with Ilford FP4 with 240mm Sironar on Linhof monorail. the film was developed as 'normal' with Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes. I believe the exposure was close to being 'similar/same as the previous image posted above... with the same filtration and developed at the same time in Pyrocat HD in BTZS tubes

Ken

Last edited:
Back