A Learning Experience

Chris Frear

Just got these 5x4 negatives back from a local chap who offered to process them for me. I think they were 4 sheets of Fomapan 400 that had sat in the film holders unused for 18 months until I exposed them back in January at our local airfield. The one of the guy in the hangar was underexposed thats my fault.
north-cotes-eagleraw-web.jpg
Raw Scan of whole negative

north-cotes-eagle-web.jpg
Tweaked/Cropped as best as possible.

NC_bonaza-1-raw-web.jpg
Raw Scan of whole negative

NC_bonaza-1-final-onew.jpg
Tweaked/Cropped

I need a longer term solution. Can anyone recommend a lab for 5x4 processing? I usually send my 120 film to Peak Imaging in Sheffield, but although they list sheet film processing they make no mention on their website of how much it is? Are Ag in London any good and if so how much for black and white?

Regards
Chris

Without knowing your circumstances a long term solution would be to develop them yourself, it's not hard to do with the right equipment and you have complete control over the process, this is especially important with sheet film as you can adjust development times to the scenes dynamic range.

I develop my own, either in a Paterson Orbital (for economy of chemistry) or a Combiplan tank if I want to process a large batch.

It's hardly rocket science and you only need either a dark bag or a dark room or cupboard to load the film into the tank. Developing then takes place in daylight and is usually only around 10 mins for developer and 5 mins for fix, then wash for about 10 mins.

Hi Chris,

What about just buying a tank? A Patterson and MOD54 insert or the Orbital or whatever.

Maybe EBay?

Robert

I've processed my own 120 film (using Rodinax daylilght tank) and 5x4 using a Paterson tank with Mod54 insert. Sadly the chemicals repeatedly gave me the world's worst headache (worse than migraines). Even when done in a well ventilated room or even outdoors with a draft blowing past. I need a solution to this problem before I can process my own again. I can't afford due t family comittments to be out of comission for 4 days after each processing session. For the chemically knowledgeable, the chemicals I was using were Ilford ilforsol 3 Dev, Stop was normal water and Ilford Rapid Fixer.

Yes, sorry, you did mention that in a PM Chris.

One for the chemical experts here!

Robert

When I am processing film, the only chemical that is open to the atmosphere is the developer. Even then, I sit a lid on the graduate whilst it sits around waiting to be put in the tank. I just use a Paterson tank lid. Stop and Fix come straight from the storage bottles into the tank, uncapped at the point of use, and cap on until the tank is emptied. All of that is to prevent contamination by dust, etc. It does cut down any smell, however, and I’m seldom aware of any strong fumes. I’ve used both the products you mention without a problem. It sounds like you may be allergic to something in one of them. There are lots of different developers which use varied ingredients. Alternative fixers are less common, but I’m sure there is an option to the common formula. It might be worth experimenting to ascertain which chemical is the problem. Fixer is the one I would tend to think gives off stronger fumes, but I also know that some people are allergic to metol in developers, although I think that is usually a contact issue, rather than a problem with fumes.
I hope you find a solution.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ilford Rapid Fixer contains Sodium Metabisulphite and Acetic Acid. Sulphites can trigger Migraines - fresh fixer does give off a bit of SO2 (sulphur Dioxide) that's the most likely cause.

It's possible an alkali fixer bath would alleviate the problem. It's unlikely to be the developer. Is there a member here near you who could do the actual processing, or even a family member so you don't have chemical contact just load the tank ?

Ian

Back