A bit of optimism

Discussion in 'Talk About Darkroom Work' started by David M, Mar 31, 2018.

1. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

2. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    It might be helpful if the company could provide information about which "Brands" and ''specific models' of the numerousof enlargers to which their light source might be 'readily affixed... Somehow, I get the idea that they may 'first' be doing some 'fishing' for possible users, without providing which 'models' 'and 'film formats', of individual enlargers they are looking toward 'retro-fitting'.

Ken

3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

Yeah, and CatLABS announced nearly one year ago that they were going to make packfilm! Absolutely no news since their announcement. Nowadays, I believe in products when they're on dealer shelves available for purchase.

4. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

I'd assumed that it would fit in much the same way as the Ilford heads, via an adaptor plate. There were prices, which suggests more than a fishing trip.
    Intrepid say they are planning a head that will transform their camera into an enlarger so with a tripod, you can make darkroom prints. Presumably, you would use the centre column to adjust the height but I don't actually know. I don't know which model camera either, and as this is Intrepid, don't hold your breath.

5. Bill Martindale

Bill Martindale Member Registered User

Retired Naval Architect
    Ken
    The document referenced was produced by Ilford comparing their own MG500 head to the newish Heiland LED head that is available for a number of enlargers. If you want to see the list of enlargers it will fit it is available at the Heiland site at http://heilandelectronic.de/led_kaltlicht. If it comes up in German there is a button top right to translate to English. You also need a control box depending on how you want to use the head whether it is for normal printing or split grade.
    These heads are not cheap, say 1800 Euros (about $2000) for a head and control box to fit a De Vere 504. It seems to be available for enlargers from a Durst 605 or Leica V35 up to 8" x 10", so a good range.

Alan,
    These have been on sale for a while so are available.

6. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

Bill, thanks for the clarification.

David, the enlarging unit they're currently working on is for the 5x4. I saw a picture of it somewhere, maybe on their Facebook page, so they may have a working prototype already. I'd really get excited if they make one for the 10x8. I fashioned my own similar setup years ago, cobbling together an Aristo 12x12 coldlight unit, a wood base, and "film holder" for my Deardorff. I have a large(ish) metal panel that mounts to the wall with magnets to hold the paper. This was purchased years ago from Ron Wisner. The whole setup worked okay, but not great. I actually have only one 20x16 print hanging in my home that I made with this setup. It would be nice to have something from Intrepid that's more workable. I can dream...