4x5 infra-red film

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by KenS, Jan 29, 2018.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    There was a time when Kodak produced IR sensitive film in both sheet and 120 roll films.
    I have just noticed that Rollei now have 4x5 IR sensitive film available
    Has anyone on the list used it? Or.. perhaps even thinking about doing so?

Ken

2. mpirie

mpirie Member Registered User

Yes, I've used it and still have a few sheets left.

Because of it's base (very thin) you have to be careful loading the film holders.

With an IR filter, the IR400 has an effective EI of around 12.

3. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    I might just give it a try... but I'll wait until winter has passed an there's some 'green' available I as checking my freezer a e week or so ago, and was somewhat surprised to find half a 'brick' of Kodak's HIE 35mm. that I had forgotten all about.

Ken

4. alexmuir

alexmuir Member Registered User

That was a lucky find! I’ve used the Rollei IR, but in 35mm and 120, rather than sheets. I think I was using a lower film speed of 4.5 or 6 with the Hoya R72 filter. It’s worth a try, but doesn’t give the halo effect you get with HIE or the Efke ‘Aura’.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. mpirie

mpirie Member Registered User

Agreed Alex. I was underwhelmed at the results. I put it own to the direction of the light when i used it, but an EI of 6 or 3 may help......IF the sun ever shows it's face again :)

6. Diz

Diz Member Registered User

I use some specially prepared film sheets to use as stiff backing.(the ones you deliberately ensure are clear for special projects!) Otherwise the very thin Rollei pops off the holder when agitating. Though it does need an extra wash to get the anti halation layer off.
    Cheers
    Diz

7. Neil t3

Neil t3 New Member Registered User

Gardener
    Home Page:
    I'm enjoying using the Rollei Infrared in 35mm , 120 and 5x4 .
    I use it at an EI 6 , though if it's quite cloudy I'll give it a bit extra exposure .
    For infrared photography I had been using a Sony NEX 3 I converted to full spectrum , but I much prefer the results I get from this film ( in any format ) .
    Development wise I'm using Rodinal @ 1+25 for between 7:30 to 8 minutes , depending on the contrast I want .
    In both my Jobo 2509n and CombiPlan tanks the 5x4 films a bit loose .
    I've lately bought a Patterson Orbital developer , so my next lot will be done in that .

I have a Fujinon SF 250mm f/5.6 Soft Focus Lens that I'm keen to try with this film , I think that will give it a nice glow .

8. alexmuir

Hi Neil. I’m interested in the Fuji lens you mentioned. I’ve never heard of it before. Does it use variable discs like the Imagon lenses, or a rotating control for the soft focus, and is it expensive (more than £300!)?
    Thanks,
    Alex

9. Neil t3

Neil t3 New Member Registered User

Gardener
    Home Page:
    Hi Alex , I'm not familiar with the Imagon lenses , but yes it does use disc's .
    From what I've read though , the Imagon lenses seem to be considered a better lens .
    If you looking at getting one or the other it would be best to research further .

The Fuji lenses would have been supplied with two disc's , a yellow one for a greater effect and a red one for a lesser effect .
    Three sets of aperture markings are on the shutter depending on if and what disc is fitted .
    I've only got the red one for mine but will be making a replacement for the yellow when I get chance .

I bought mine years ago when I came across one very cheap , before I even had a camera to use it on .

Fuji did two versions you might want to look at , an 180mm suitable for 5x4 film and the 250mm which is fine for up to 10x8 .
    Whatever you go for , I would probably try to find one with the yellow disc .
    If no disc's are with it , forget it .
    For specifications look here ; http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/as-sfs.htm

If your after the 250mm , have a look on ebay . There's one here for £220 delivered to the U.K ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEAR-MIN...432334?hash=item362b76af0e:g:RuwAAOSwppVZ1mID
    Don't forget you'll cop for an extra 20% VAT when it gets here and about another £20 customs handling .
    So this one would be less than £300 , I've seen them for less though .

The 180mm one can be seen here ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-Fuj...705747?hash=item56a9b9ae53:g:lPcAAOSwzJ5XeyWh .
    Don't bother with it though , it hasn't got any discs with it .
    But it gives you an idea what it is .

The 250mm lens is quite large , I've taken a picture of it on my Crown Graphic with a roll of 120 next to it to give it a sense of scale .
    [​IMG]
    FUJI FUJINON SF 250mm F5.6 Soft Focus lens on a Grafflex Crown Graphic
    by Neil , on Flickr

10. alexmuir

Thanks, Neil. That’s very helpful. I like trying soft focus effects on landscape and urban photos. I have a range of filters, some useful, but others just make the image too mushy. I also tried the nylon stocking stretched over the lens. It is quite effective. I’ve had an urge to combine IR and soft focus for a while now. I have SFX loaded in a 35mm camera just now, but there hasn’t been much sun lately. I haven’t actually tried SFX with an IR filter yet, but I’ve seen some pretty impressive results in a book on IR by Hugh Milsom. It’s a good read if you like IR. It doesn’t cover the Rollei film, but gives good general advice. It’s the best IR book I’ve seen.
    Alex

YorkshireBloke likes this.