4 x 5 Enlarger Advice

Thanks for the advice Ian, yeah I wasn’t gonna go too high for that exact reason but I’d rather get one cheap and do some work on it instead of paying full whack.

It just comes down to what you would like to do with it.
If i.e. you'd like to make prints on VC papers it would definitely be worth to consider one of the mentioned De Veres (like the 504) with an appropriate head, or an LPL 4500 / 7450 (by Jobo, Omega or Saunders) with either a VCCE head or a dichroic head. You might even be lucky to find one rather cheap. (Here is a cheap one in the bay.)
If you just want to start out and try some B+W prints, like on fast PE papers, without having the subtle influence on contrast and detail that variable contrast papers give (fiber based ones are the best), you might consider a more "basic" Durst or Meopta enlarger. You can find them for around £90 - £200 depending on the condition.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Cospinol. I’ve managed to get hold of an Omega D2 from someone local for the grand total of £60 so I jumped on it. I don’t exactly know what is included with it yet but I can make a lens board fairly easily and negative carriers seem readily available from the US. Anyone with Omega D2 parts and accessories they are willing to sell then let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's more like a bargain, I wasn't sure about that De Vere it looked rather abused and not worth the costs of getting the extra parts needed or the timer repaired.

Ian

a Omega D2 for only 60 bucks, that's awesome, take it and keep us informed on this please.

Durst L1000/L1200.

Mike

I'll 'second' the L1000 advice... mine is 20 getting somewhat "old" but is still going strong because it is build like a "Brick 'sh_t-house"
If I were REALLy interested (and in 'need') of another enlarger it would be the 318 (for the added capability of 'point' source illumination

Ken

Back